Wednesday, March 14, 2018

This Is Us Feelings (SOL18 #14)

On Tuesday nights I watch "This is Us." The show is incredible and keeps me interested each week. As I watch each Tuesday I find that I have more and more in common with the characters in each episode.

Last night, with TRULY no REAL spoilers included, I watched a woman prepare for her wedding who did not have her father walk her down the aisle. As any bride gets ready for her big day, there is no doubt that her father will be a part of it. While watching This Is Us all I could think about was my big day and the how each moment  played out. 

As the Kate (the character from the show) prepared for her wedding she thought extensively about her father. I did as well. As I watched I was dumbfounded at the similarities of our stories even though our lives were completely different. 

One of the ideas from the last episode was the father figure aging and moving forward in life. It's hard not to try to picture how life would have been different had my father been around throughout my teenage/adult life. After watching the episode my mind has been drawn to what could have been. 

What would my dad think of my current path in life? 
Would my dad approve of my choice in partner in crime? 
How would he approach the technology era? 
What would he think just in general? 
Would he be pumped about the Cubs? 


Like many of the characters, I wonder what my father would have thought of my life, choices, and how I would proceed with all of my endeavors. All I know is that last night, while watching, I missed my Dad immensely. 

10 comments:

  1. Very touching. And your wonderings, your questions remind me so much of my girlhood hopes that I was pleasing my Dad. I wonder if I ever did?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many questions. Lots of unanswered questions. However I'd like to think I am making him proud.

      Delete
  2. What a very sweet and honest post, Katie. You are incredible. Thank you for writing and sharing your experiences. It truly is amazing how everyone can connect with those heartwarming characters on This is Us - I just love them too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! You are too sweet. I'm glad you are a This is Us fan too. Incredible show!

      Delete
  3. Katie, this is beautiful - such raw and honest emotion. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine. It wasn't an easy one to write.

      Delete
  4. Such a great post, Katie. I also love this show, so so much. It's nice how it can make us reflect upon our own lives so much. Thanks for sharing your heart today :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such an amazing show! It's bringing up a lot of moments from my past, but it's good to reflect on the past to understand things about myself now.

      Delete
  5. Just seeing the words This is Us make me tear up. I am only on the beginning of Season 2 (had to stop watching when I was pregnant with Robby, too emotional!). Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I watch "This Is Us" every week, Katie. We adore the show. It makes me think deeply about those we love.

    I can imagine it brings up much deeper emotions in you since you've gone through this enormous loss. I cannot imagine what my life would be like without one or both of my parents.

    Thank you for this heartfelt and raw slice.

    ReplyDelete