Thursday, March 8, 2018

A letter to my students (SOL18 #8)

"What do we have to score on PARCC to pass fifth grade?" 

My heart hurt just thinking about that question. The last thing in the entire world that I want is for my students to think of themselves as a score. While everyone can probably infer how teachers feel about state mandated testing, I don't want my students to feel any sort of burden when it comes to "passing the test." So in response to that question... I write my students a letter this evening.

Dear 5SS,
Today we talked a lot about the importance of PARCC. We talked about trying our best. We discussed pacing ourselves throughout the test making sure that we are able to answer each question. Most importantly, we talked about showing all that you have learned this year, and in years past and apply that knowledge as you take this test. 

Today I watched you as you took a practice test. Stress filled your faces. Some of you even had tears in your eyes. As I watched you work diligently through the practice test, I wanted to be sure that I reminded you of some other things that are equally important.

1. While you may not feel confident, I am BEYOND confident in your abilities. Each of you is nothing short of amazing and can accomplish whatever you put your mind to. 

2. I don't want you to look at this assessment as something that you need to achieve a particular score on. You are SO much more than a score. No test can measure you and your worth. 

3. While this assessment will give us information about you academically, it does not give us any information about your character. Mrs. Scott and I have watched you grow immensely since the beginning of the year and none of that growth can or will be represented through a test. 

Instead it can be observed through your interactions with your classmates and teachers.
 It can be observed when you show a growth mindset and bravely attempt something that you have never done before. 
It can be observed when we push you to continuously grow. 
It can be observed when you make a choice to include someone rather than leave them out. 
It can be observed when you continue to work your hardest even if the material is challenging and persevere until you find a solution. 

Remember...I know that you are going to be amazing. That has never been a question in my mind. Think about all that you have accomplished this year and be proud. I know I am incredibly proud of each and every one of you each day.

Love,


Mrs. Suomi 

7 comments:

  1. What a lovely letter to your students. May they keep a positive attitude and do their best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this letter! Thanks for sharing. It's important for the kids to know they do not have to get a perfect score to be seen as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Kids are so much more than a score. :)

      Delete
  3. The more I hear about the PARCC test and others like it, I am glad that we don't have this pressure in Iowa. Yes, we have the Iowa Assessments (at least for the moment, rumor says something else is coming) but whether or not students move on to the next grade doesn't depend on their test score.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The score on this test doesn't dictate their passing to the next grade or not here either. I think they just assume that's how it's used.

      Delete
  4. I've heard similar comments from students and had the broken heart feeling as well. What a beautiful way to show your students that they are so. much. more. than one single test.

    ReplyDelete