Thursday, March 7, 2019

Unexpected Greeting (SOL19 #7)


The ride home was a blur. I turned on my turn signal just before turning in to the driveway. Click. Click. Click
I was trying to listen to my mom talk about something. School buses? Work schedules? An upcoming concert? To be honest, I don’t even remember. My brain was feeling fried from spending the day as a student at a professional development. I slowly drove down the long driveway toward the gate but stopped short, remembering that I still have some errands I need to do this evening. 
I put the car in park and start to grab my things. 
“Okay Mom. I just pulled in. Yep. Yep. Gotta go. Love you too!” 
I hit the button to hang up the phone and took a deep breath. This might have been the first moment of silence that I have had all day. I continued to collect the rest of my bags. 
Why do I have SO many bags? 

I turned to the passenger seat to grab the final, most important bag. My purse. After picking it up I looked out my passenger window. What I saw made my heart feel like it was going to jump out of my chest. 
2 sets of eyes staring right at me. 
Its not that the thought of seeing my husband and dog is terrifying, but this greeting was totally unexpected. Have I mentioned I don’t like to be surprised? 
This surprise greeting was okay though. 

8 comments:

  1. Ha. Well that looks like a nice way to end a long full day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! what a cute way to grab your attention! I can imagine how this made your day special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best greeting ever! I love the way you wrote your conversation with your mom.

    ReplyDelete